From: petrolcan on
In article <mlqqs59lga16rtie7gc2017hn31eek888l(a)4ax.com>, CD says...
>
> Having just been made redundant I'm going to give it a bash going
> alone. I have a range of products I plan to sell, a local supplier of
> them & I'm ready to go.
> I'll probably start using ebay, but ultimately want to have my own
> site to sell from. A quick google reveals many solutions, but I've no
> idea who's good or bad or a rip off.
> Anyone on here have any experience or give me any pointers?
>
> Cheers

For hosting I use freehostia.com. Perfectly reliable for the last five
years or so. Excellent customer support too.

They have some free installable scripts for setting up a shop but I've
never used them so cannot reallt comment on that.
From: Appelation Controlee on
On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 10:20:43 +0100, petrolcan wrote:

-----------------8><
> For hosting I use freehostia.com. Perfectly reliable for the last five
> years or so. Excellent customer support too.
>
> They have some free installable scripts for setting up a shop but I've
> never used them so cannot reallt comment on that.

Ah, but it's only free if you pay annually. ;-)
From: petrolcan on
In article <phkay1dpx7v8$.1v61ef2cy8qga.dlg(a)40tude.net>, Appelation
Controlee says...
>
> On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 10:20:43 +0100, petrolcan wrote:
>
> -----------------8><
> > For hosting I use freehostia.com. Perfectly reliable for the last five
> > years or so. Excellent customer support too.
> >
> > They have some free installable scripts for setting up a shop but I've
> > never used them so cannot reallt comment on that.
>
> Ah, but it's only free if you pay annually. ;-)

Heh, I use one of the paid for hosting packages. TBH, I cannot see the
point of not paying for it.
From: Leon Fitch on
On 20 Apr, 09:53, CD <n...(a)way.ok> wrote:
> Having just been made redundant I'm going to give it a bash going
> alone. I have a range of products I plan to sell, a local supplier of
> them & I'm ready to go.
> I'll probably start using ebay, but ultimately want to have my own
> site to sell from. A quick google reveals many solutions, but I've no
> idea who's good or bad or a rip off.
> Anyone on here have any experience or give me any pointers?
>
> Cheers
>
> CD

I have been very happy with http://www.terranetwork.net/

They will preinstall oscommerce, zencart, magento or prestashop for
you.

Personally I'd go with prestashop if your just starting out and want
to do it yourself, magento is probably too complicated for you needs.

Theres a demo prestashop shop at http://www.prestashop.com/en/showcase_demo/

Peter
From: Appelation Controlee on
On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 12:24:34 +0100, petrolcan wrote:

> In article <phkay1dpx7v8$.1v61ef2cy8qga.dlg(a)40tude.net>, Appelation
> Controlee says...
>>
>> On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 10:20:43 +0100, petrolcan wrote:
>>
>> -----------------8><
>>> For hosting I use freehostia.com. Perfectly reliable for the last five
>>> years or so. Excellent customer support too.
>>>
>>> They have some free installable scripts for setting up a shop but I've
>>> never used them so cannot reallt comment on that.
>>
>> Ah, but it's only free if you pay annually. ;-)
>
> Heh, I use one of the paid for hosting packages. TBH, I cannot see the
> point of not paying for it.

The propositions are certainly well-priced - the disk space allocation on
the $10 deal is just staggering.