From: Fat Sam on
For example: John Smith wrote:
> Fat Sam wrote:
>> For example: John Smith wrote:
>>> Fran wrote:
>>>> "Fat Sam" <samandjanet(a)knox.orangehome.co.uk> wrote in message
>>>> news:HPidnUFx8IEuAknbnZ2dnUVZ8sqjnZ2d(a)giganews.com...
>>>>
>>>>> It's got nothing to do with what country you're in.
>>>>> It's got everything to do with whether you understand basic
>>>>> English. Asian means "From Asia", plain and simple.
>>>>
>>>> Um. OK, a question. I listen to Sunrise Radio. It advertises itself
>>>> as aiming at the "Asian Community". However, what they broadcast is
>>>> aimed at those originating at some point from the Indian sub
>>>> continent including Pakistan and Bangladesh. So, are we all wrong
>>>> to use the term Asian?
>>>> I agree that semantically Asian strictly refers to that emanating
>>>> from the continent of Asia. However, common usage and derivation in
>>>> the UK means that it generally refers to those from the sub
>>>> continent. Wiki seems to agree:
>>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asian_people As
>>>> does the Oxford:
>>>>
>>>> http://www.askoxford.com/results/?view=dev_dict&field-12668446=asian&branch=13842570&textsearchtype=exact&sortorder=score%2Cname
>>>>
>>>> Nothing, my friend, is ever as plain and simple as it might seem.
>>>> Especially when it comes to the glory that is the many stranded
>>>> English language in all its hundreds of forms. Clarity and
>>>> explanation is all. Some assumed that Asian meant Indian or
>>>> whatever. Others that it meant Chinese. The use of terms with many
>>>> meanings can be a dangerous thing.
>>>
>>> Thankyou, Fran.
>>>
>>> Should shut the ignorant cnuts up for a while.
>>
>> Your choice of words creates a linguistic paradox.
>> Only those who would choose to use that word in a public place,
>> miss-spelled or otherwise, can really be described by it.
>> Ironic really.
>> Also Ironic that you use that word to describe people who are
>> ignorant.
>
> Do the words 'bad' and 'loser' mean anything to you ?

Do the words "Don't", "have", "a", "grasp", "of", "linguistics", "or",
"logic" mean anything to you?

Now, in order to be a loser, there would need to be some sort of contest or
competition, with an officiating body who has the power to announce a
winner.
There was nothing of the sort.
There was a difference of opinion over a matter of semantics.


From: Fran on

"Fat Sam" <samandjanet(a)knox.orangehome.co.uk> wrote in message
news:eYKdnXJZdPiGxEjbnZ2dneKdnZydnZ2d(a)giganews.com...
> Fran wrote:
>> "Fat Sam" <samandjanet(a)knox.orangehome.co.uk> wrote in message
>> news:HPidnUFx8IEuAknbnZ2dnUVZ8sqjnZ2d(a)giganews.com...
>>
>>> It's got nothing to do with what country you're in.
>>> It's got everything to do with whether you understand basic English.
>>> Asian means "From Asia", plain and simple.
>>
>> Um. OK, a question. I listen to Sunrise Radio. It advertises itself as
>> aiming at the "Asian Community". However, what they broadcast is
>> aimed at those originating at some point from the Indian sub
>> continent including Pakistan and Bangladesh. So, are we all wrong to
>> use the term Asian?
>
> You're muddying the waters here.
> You are referring to the Asian community that lives in Britain, as that is
> where the station broadcasts.
> The reason it aims mainly at people from the Indian sub-continent is
> because they make up the vast majority of Asian people living in this
> country.
>
> However, the original post and my comment was about buying items on Ebay
> from Asian sellers.
> I took this to mean sellers who are located in Asia, as Ebay is a wordwide
> company.

But this group has a name and a charter, yes? The bit about uk.people......?
See, if you were in a discussion with some Americans and they talked about a
rubber, you'd have a totally different conversation from the one you might
have with a group of Brits or British English speakers. Context, my friend,
context.

> So in that respect, it is perfectly accurate to refer to sellers in China,
> Korea, Japan, and yes, even Russia as being Asian.

I think that your argument is fast becoming a pilpul. If the original post
had been on the Big Eight Ebay group, then I'd have read it as referring
possibly to those from the sub continent.

>
>> I agree that semantically Asian strictly refers to that emanating
>> from the continent of Asia. However, common usage and derivation in
>> the UK means that it generally refers to those from the sub continent.
>
> Only when referring to the UK Asian community.
> When referring to the Worldwide Asian community, your definition becomes
> hopelessly inadequate.
>

Not my definition: I cited Wiki and the OED. Perhaps you might like to add a
Wiki entry or your own, or talk to the Oxford compilers....?

I'd also argue that there's no such thing as a worldwide Asian community.
I've no links to anyone who is say, Chinese. Or Afghan.



From: Fat Sam on
Fran wrote:
> Perhaps you might like
> to add a Wiki entry or your own,

What again?
You mean the one I already posted doesn't count?


First  |  Prev  | 
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: Payment question.
Next: Refunds