From: Paul on
The Real Bev <bashley101+usenet(a)gmail.com> wrote in

> OTOH, Act II microwave popcorn is REALLY good. I don't care
> if it's space butter, it tastes fine.

Act II is the best, IMHO. Paul Newmans popcprn is horrid!

From: Logan Shaw on
debnett(a)gmail.com wrote:
> Today the kitchen still reeks....the micro works but IT reeks...and
> the odor is lingering everywhere. I have sprayed Oust (gave up on
> Lysol)....I'm wondering if the microwave should be pitched because
> it's not possible to clean it out inside and will just continue,
> maybe, to be a source of odor?

I would try chlorine bleach (a/k/a Clorox a/k/a sodium hypochlorite
a/k/a NaOCl). Something tells me it will get rid of whatever is on
the surfaces (at least those that you can get to) in the microwave.

I generally fold a paper towel so it's several layers thick, get it
slightly wet, and then put just a little chlorine bleach directly on
it (by covering the mouth of the bottle, then tipping it momentarily).
Then I have a paper towel I can use to wipe down whatever it is that
needs it.

- Logan
From: Lou on

<debnett(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1173292679.503415.77850(a)c51g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...
> Last night I walked away from the microwave while popping a bag of
> popcorn and didn't hear that kernals had quit popping. I returned a
> minute later--honest, only a minute!!!-only to smell that horrid,
> distinctive odor of burned popcorn. Open the micro and smoke rolled
> out.....
>
> I doused the offending bag in water immediately....opened the
> windows...sprayed Lysol....put a fan in the window to suck the odor
> out....opened a couple of other windows...scoured the micro as best I
> could (didn't have any lemon juice or baking soda).
>
> Today the kitchen still reeks....the micro works but IT reeks...and
> the odor is lingering everywhere. I have sprayed Oust (gave up on
> Lysol)....I'm wondering if the microwave should be pitched because
> it's not possible to clean it out inside and will just continue,
> maybe, to be a source of odor?
>
I don't use those bags - there's far and away too much grease and salt in
them. You can pop plain old popcorn in the microwave, and control the
amount of oil and salt. Cheaper, too.

However, this is an occasional problem at work - someone overpops a bag, and
it does reek. But other than maybe airing the oven out, no one does
anything special, and the smell fades away.


From: Jeff on
The Real Bev wrote:
> George wrote:
>
>> Seerialmom wrote:
>>
>>>
>>> BTW...burnt popcorn smell is one of those major pet peeves at work.
>>> NEVER put a bag in and walk away, even if you use the "popcorn"
>>> button. When the popping slows down to like 1 pop every 5-10 seconds
>>> take it out.
>>
>>
>> It doesn't even need to burn without smelling like an explosion at a
>> chemical factory.
>>
>> A couple years ago I bought a microwave popper for a couple bucks. It
>> is basically a plastic bowl with a lid. You just use plain popcorn and
>> don't get that disgusting heated "space butter" smell.
>
>
> OTOH, Act II microwave popcorn is REALLY good. I don't care if it's
> space butter, it tastes fine.
>
Mmmm Space buttered popcorn. With Tang!

Jeff
From: Zuke on
On Wed, 7 Mar 2007, Seerialmom wrote:

> On Mar 7, 10:37 am, debn...(a)gmail.com wrote:
>> Last night I walked away from the microwave while popping a bag of
>> popcorn and didn't hear that kernals had quit popping. I returned a
>> minute later--honest, only a minute!!!-only to smell that horrid,
>> distinctive odor of burned popcorn. Open the micro and smoke rolled
>> out.....
>>

My mom had a brain cramp once and cleaned the microwave with a
metal scouring pad. Next time she turned it on it looked like the
fourth of July. I don't know if she had to but she went out
and replaced the microwave.