From: debnett on
Last night I walked away from the microwave while popping a bag of
popcorn and didn't hear that kernals had quit popping. I returned a
minute later--honest, only a minute!!!-only to smell that horrid,
distinctive odor of burned popcorn. Open the micro and smoke rolled
out.....

I doused the offending bag in water immediately....opened the
windows...sprayed Lysol....put a fan in the window to suck the odor
out....opened a couple of other windows...scoured the micro as best I
could (didn't have any lemon juice or baking soda).

Today the kitchen still reeks....the micro works but IT reeks...and
the odor is lingering everywhere. I have sprayed Oust (gave up on
Lysol)....I'm wondering if the microwave should be pitched because
it's not possible to clean it out inside and will just continue,
maybe, to be a source of odor?

Thanks for suggestions!

Annie

From: Tracey on

<debnett(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1173292679.503415.77850(a)c51g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...
> Today the kitchen still reeks....the micro works but IT reeks...and
> the odor is lingering everywhere. I have sprayed Oust (gave up on
> Lysol)....I'm wondering if the microwave should be pitched because
> it's not possible to clean it out inside and will just continue,
> maybe, to be a source of odor?

Try a bowl of white vinegar, just set it inside the microwave, close the
door and leave it there, all day and overnight. It should help a lot. If
the whole kitchen still stinks, put another bowl of vinegar on the kitchen
counter and leave it there overnight.


From: George Shirley on
debnett(a)gmail.com wrote:
> Last night I walked away from the microwave while popping a bag of
> popcorn and didn't hear that kernals had quit popping. I returned a
> minute later--honest, only a minute!!!-only to smell that horrid,
> distinctive odor of burned popcorn. Open the micro and smoke rolled
> out.....
>
> I doused the offending bag in water immediately....opened the
> windows...sprayed Lysol....put a fan in the window to suck the odor
> out....opened a couple of other windows...scoured the micro as best I
> could (didn't have any lemon juice or baking soda).
>
> Today the kitchen still reeks....the micro works but IT reeks...and
> the odor is lingering everywhere. I have sprayed Oust (gave up on
> Lysol)....I'm wondering if the microwave should be pitched because
> it's not possible to clean it out inside and will just continue,
> maybe, to be a source of odor?
>
> Thanks for suggestions!
>
> Annie
>
Take a saucer, fill it with baking soda, leave it sit in the microwave
for a couple of days. Should absorb all the odor, even that that is
inside the walls. If not, repeat the process. Another method is to
loosely wad up single sheets of newsprint and stuff the microwave full
of it. Will absorb the odor over a couple of days.

George

From: Rod Speed on
debnett(a)gmail.com wrote:
> Last night I walked away from the microwave while popping a bag of
> popcorn and didn't hear that kernals had quit popping. I returned a
> minute later--honest, only a minute!!!-only to smell that horrid,
> distinctive odor of burned popcorn. Open the micro and smoke rolled
> out.....
>
> I doused the offending bag in water immediately....opened the
> windows...sprayed Lysol....put a fan in the window to suck the odor
> out....opened a couple of other windows...scoured the micro as best I
> could (didn't have any lemon juice or baking soda).
>
> Today the kitchen still reeks....the micro works but IT reeks...and
> the odor is lingering everywhere. I have sprayed Oust (gave up on
> Lysol)....I'm wondering if the microwave should be pitched because
> it's not possible to clean it out inside and will just continue,
> maybe, to be a source of odor?

It should dissipate eventually.

Try boiling some water in it, that might help.


From: Seerialmom on
On Mar 7, 10:37 am, debn...(a)gmail.com wrote:
> Last night I walked away from the microwave while popping a bag of
> popcorn and didn't hear that kernals had quit popping. I returned a
> minute later--honest, only a minute!!!-only to smell that horrid,
> distinctive odor of burned popcorn. Open the micro and smoke rolled
> out.....
>
> I doused the offending bag in water immediately....opened the
> windows...sprayed Lysol....put a fan in the window to suck the odor
> out....opened a couple of other windows...scoured the micro as best I
> could (didn't have any lemon juice or baking soda).
>
> Today the kitchen still reeks....the micro works but IT reeks...and
> the odor is lingering everywhere. I have sprayed Oust (gave up on
> Lysol)....I'm wondering if the microwave should be pitched because
> it's not possible to clean it out inside and will just continue,
> maybe, to be a source of odor?
>
> Thanks for suggestions!
>
> Annie

No, don't toss it. If you have lemon juice put like half a cup into 2
cups water; run the microwave for like 2.5 minutes. Once it's done,
wipe down the walls with a paper towel and then leave the door open
(unplugged if yours has that light that turns on when the door is
opened) to "air out" for a few hours (or overnight).

BTW...burnt popcorn smell is one of those major pet peeves at work.
NEVER put a bag in and walk away, even if you use the "popcorn"
button. When the popping slows down to like 1 pop every 5-10 seconds
take it out.