From: Niel J Humphreys on
"Dr Zoidberg" <AlexNOOO!!!!!!@drzoidberg.co.uk> wrote in message
news:hfqv9t$6g5$1(a)news.eternal-september.org...
> The problem is the books - I was looking at Amazon and they wanted more
> for an electronic copy of the ones I checked than you'd pay for a nice
> hardback that was on offer (as they always are).
>
> To my mind they would need to be charging less than a normal paperback to
> be worthwhile.

There will always be places you can download things for free, much like
software and with ebooks it is hardly easy to put security codes and
measures in place like some games have these days.


From: The Older Gentleman on
Dr Zoidberg <AlexNOOO!!!!!!@drzoidberg.co.uk> wrote:

> One with a 6" screen is about �170 now - I reckon something with a bit
> larger screen , say 8" , for �100 is when they'll really take off.

And they'll need to be colour and hi-res, too.
>
> The problem is the books - I was looking at Amazon and they wanted more
> for an electronic copy of the ones I checked than you'd pay for a nice
> hardback that was on offer (as they always are).

Yup
>
> To my mind they would need to be charging less than a normal paperback
> to be worthwhile.

Agree 100%.

<Confession time>

And I just *like* books. And you can't put your name in the flyleaf of
an electronic reader.


--
BMW K1100LT Ducati 750SS Honda CB400F Triumph Street Triple
Suzuki TS250ER GN250 Damn, back to six bikes!
Try Googling before asking a damn silly question.
chateau dot murray at idnet dot com
From: Timo Geusch on
totallydeadmailbox(a)yahoo.co.uk (The Older Gentleman) writes:

> Dr Zoidberg <AlexNOOO!!!!!!@drzoidberg.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> One with a 6" screen is about �170 now - I reckon something with a bit
>> larger screen , say 8" , for �100 is when they'll really take off.
>
> And they'll need to be colour and hi-res, too.
>>
>> The problem is the books - I was looking at Amazon and they wanted more
>> for an electronic copy of the ones I checked than you'd pay for a nice
>> hardback that was on offer (as they always are).
>
> Yup
>>
>> To my mind they would need to be charging less than a normal paperback
>> to be worthwhile.
>
> Agree 100%.
>
> <Confession time>
>
> And I just *like* books. And you can't put your name in the flyleaf of
> an electronic reader.

They're easily pocketable, work pretty much anywhere where you've got
enough light and you can read one while having a relaxing bath. I
wouldn't want to try the latter with an ebook reader.
From: Dr Ivan D. Reid on
On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 19:29:08 +0000, The Older Gentleman
<totallydeadmailbox(a)yahoo.co.uk>
wrote in <1jaiw1w.ho0mqi7tef6oN%totallydeadmailbox(a)yahoo.co.uk>:

><Confession time>

> And I just *like* books. And you can't put your name in the flyleaf of
> an electronic reader.

My ex- would hate you -- she's a librarian. She got very upset
when I wrote my name and the date on the flyleaf of "A Book of Terns" when
she bought it as a going-away present when I was off to Antarctica...
I'd gotten into the habit to keep a temporal track of my SciFi collection.

--
Ivan Reid, School of Engineering & Design, _____________ CMS Collaboration,
Brunel University. Ivan.Reid@[brunel.ac.uk|cern.ch] Room 40-1-B12, CERN
KotPT -- "for stupidity above and beyond the call of duty".
From: Fran on

"Dr Ivan D. Reid" <Ivan.Reid(a)brunel.ac.uk> wrote in message
news:slrnhi2lro.4a5.Ivan.Reid(a)loki.brunel.ac.uk...

> my SciFi collection.
>

Burn the heretic.