From: Roger Shoaf on
I really do not understand why there are so many folks with vast
accumulations of coins. What I do is to use the coins as they are intended.
If my purchase comes to $8.32, I will rid my pocket of either $.32 cents or
if my pocket does not have that much, then I will give them either 2 cents
or 7 cents.

Seems to me I never have much more than $2-3 change in my pockets at a time.


--

Roger Shoaf

About the time I had mastered getting the toothpaste back in the tube, then
they come up with this striped stuff.


"Evelyn C. Leeper" <eleeper(a)optonline.net> wrote in message
news:gXf2j.6$RG5.2(a)newsfe09.lga...
> Not only does Coinstar charge an exorbitant fee for counting your coins
> (almost 10%), but they apparently frequently undercount the amount.
>
> I took advantage of their recent offer for free coin counting if you
> took an electronic gift certificate for one of their partner merchants
> instead of cash. In addition, if you counted at least $30 worth, you
> got an extra $10 amazon.com gift certificate.
>
> So I got three rolls of quarters at the bank ($30) and dumped them in.
> The total Coinstar registered was $29.61. I threw in two more quarters
> to make $30.11. When I got home, I googled and discovered that this was
> not an unusual occurrence.
>
> They did send the additional $10 certificate, so I got $40.11 for my
> $40.50, and spending money at amazon is not a problem for me, but I
> would never use them without being offered a big premium like this.
> Even if they don't take a commission if you take a certificate, they may
> still short-change you.
>
> --
> Evelyn C. Leeper
> I believe I found the missing link between animal
> and civilized man. It is us. -Konrad Lorenz


From: Bob F on

"Larry Bud" <larrybud2002(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:0aa3516e-6daf-4a7f-89d2-a5a77d58cbce(a)w40g2000hsb.googlegroups.com...
> On Nov 26, 3:11 am, ultim...(a)hotmail.com wrote:
>> On Nov 25, 6:49 am, "Evelyn C. Leeper" <elee...(a)optonline.net> wrote:
>>
>> > Not only does Coinstar charge an exorbitant fee for counting your coins
>> > (almost 10%), but they apparently frequently undercount the amount.
>>
>> I haven't even seen a Coinstar kiosk anywhere in L.A for the past
>> several years, but I'm sure they are here. Are people really that lazy
>> that they can't count the coins in advance and need to go to a robot
>> to do it (don't take this as a flame, it's something I have wondered
>> for years now ever since I heard about it)? In fact, this would be a
>> much better activity than sitting down and getting sludge pumped at
>> you from the tee vee.
>
> I used coinstar once. I had $210 worth of coins. It would have taken
> me hours to count and roll all of those. For $20, I did it in about
> 10 minutes. Since I freelance as a web developer/programmer for $80
> an hour, it was a simple ROI calculation to make the decision.

I have one of those cheap plastic battery powered sorters I bought for $.50 at a
yard sale. I just drop my coins in it. When a tube fills, I wrap it. Easy,
quick, and no losses.

Bob F


From: George on
Roger Shoaf wrote:
> I really do not understand why there are so many folks with vast
> accumulations of coins. What I do is to use the coins as they are intended.
> If my purchase comes to $8.32, I will rid my pocket of either $.32 cents or
> if my pocket does not have that much, then I will give them either 2 cents
> or 7 cents.
>
> Seems to me I never have much more than $2-3 change in my pockets at a time.
>
>
I do the same thing now. At one time I used to empty my pockets out and
always ended up with a lot of change. Now I make a point of taking
change when I am going out and use it as you describe and have little
accumulation.
From: Bob F on

"aemeijers" <aemeijers(a)att.net> wrote in message news:YBI2j.53690
> (And yes, I do try harder to spend coins now, carrying exact change for
> planned purchases that day. But I have a hell of a backlog to get rid of, and
> clerks and people in line get Real Cranky if you pay with anything smaller
> than quarters.)

I often find that stores are short of change, asking if I have change so that
they don't have to use theirs. They are happy to get some extra.

Bob


From: Bob F on

"George" <george(a)nospam.invalid> wrote in message
news:986dnfhopaWt5dLanZ2dnUVZ_tGdnZ2d(a)comcast.com...
> Roger Shoaf wrote:
>> I really do not understand why there are so many folks with vast
>> accumulations of coins. What I do is to use the coins as they are intended.
>> If my purchase comes to $8.32, I will rid my pocket of either $.32 cents or
>> if my pocket does not have that much, then I will give them either 2 cents
>> or 7 cents.
>>
>> Seems to me I never have much more than $2-3 change in my pockets at a time.
>>
>>
> I do the same thing now. At one time I used to empty my pockets out and always
> ended up with a lot of change. Now I make a point of taking change when I am
> going out and use it as you describe and have little accumulation.

Or, you could just help out the little old lady next door with her bingo needs.

Bob


First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
Prev: U4ik
Next: Web site for product reviews?