From: mm on
On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 07:03:37 GMT, "MsMonarchdancer(a)gmail.com"
<MsMonarchdancer(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>How do we flip a left-hand Kwikset lock so it works on a right-hand door?
>
>I bought a set of Kwikset Security locks which advertise "Fits All Doors" &
>"Easy Installation". The Kwikset lock package contained two left-hand keyed
>knobs and two deadbolts.
>
>The problem is there is NOTHING on the package that indicates the two keyed
>knobs are set up for left-handed doors (those with the hinge on the left).
>My outside doors are right-hand doors (they have the hinge on the right).

You just want the key to be "right side" up? How do you know which
side is the right side? :)

Why can't you just rotate the whole lock 180 degrees?

Every second house in my n'hood has a door that swings one way, and
every first and third house, the door swings the other way. (or opens
from the other side, depending on how you phrase it.) And I'm sure
they all have Kwikset locks like I do. Do you want me to check which
side of the keyhole goes up in my neighbors' locks?

For me, I think the key's teeth point up. Is that good or bad?

>It's crazy to me that Kwikset doesn't even SAY on the package that all my
>lock cylinders will be upside down unless I can figure out how to switch
>the Kwikset lock from being a left-hand knob to a right-hand knob.

Where is it written what is up and what is down?

I believe the doorknob has to be turned the opposite direction also,
depending on what side of the door the lock is, and that that would be
true even if the keyhole were reversed top to bottom. Isn't that true
of your previous lock? People learn to do that automatically with
time.

>Do you know how?
>
>I googled only to find a very tough to follow description of the lock knob
>keyhole reversing procedure sans pictures at
>http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=227800
>
>Is there a PHOTOGRAPH or DIAGRAM of how to reverse a quickset lock that is
>set up for a left-hand door to have the keyhole right-side up for a
>right-hand door?
>
>The instructions have room for Spanish, English, and French, but no room to
>tell us how to install the lock such that the keyhole is right-side up.
>
>Is the procedure to flip the Kwikset keyhole documented (with pictures)?

From: SMS on
MsMonarchdancer(a)gmail.com wrote:

> It's crazy to me that Kwikset doesn't even SAY on the package that all my
> lock cylinders will be upside down unless I can figure out how to switch
> the Kwikset lock from being a left-hand knob to a right-hand knob.

Kwikset probably thinks that it's crazy that anyone would care which
direction the keyhole would be. There isn't a "right-side-up" because
it's different on doors with the hole on the right than on the left.

> Do you know how?

If you buy the after-market Kwikset re-keying kit at Home Depot, it
comes with the tools, and instructions. You can put the cylinder back in
either way. The procedure is different for the doorknob and the
deadbolt. The deadbolt is easier, and no tools are needed. I've done
rekeying of Kwikset locks many times, I just did one a few weeks ago.

See:

"http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze4vxnd/kwikrekey.html"
"http://www.kwikset.com/Trade/Literature/Resources/Rekeying%20Manual.pdf"

I think that you'll have the same issue with any brand of lock you buy.
You'll have to disassemble it to remove the cylinder and flip it over if
you want the keyhole in the opposite orientation.
From: Gary Heston on
In article <hmcko30upmj9.j7wklsmpcvdz$.dlg(a)40tude.net>,
MsMonarchdancer(a)gmail.com <MsMonarchdancer(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>How do we flip a left-hand Kwikset lock so it works on a right-hand door?
[ ... ]

On all of them I've dealt with, you just separate the lockset into
the three main pieces, install the plunger/latch into the edge of
the door, stick the outside part (knob or deadbolt) in from the
exterior side of the door, mate the interior part (knob, deadbolt,
or turn lever) onto the rod from the front part, then spend a lot
of time getting the screws started. Tighten everything up, and
you're done.

The only difference between l-h and r-h locksets is which way the
plunger/latch points, and they're generally made to fit either way.
No need to pull the cylinders or anything like that. Locksets that
only fit one way are usually clearly marked as "l-h only" or "r-h only".


Gary

--
Gary Heston gheston(a)hiwaay.net http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

Astronomers have developed a definition of "planet" which excludes Pluto.
I'm developing a definition of "scientist" which excludes astronomers.
From: Nate Nagel on
mm wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 07:03:37 GMT, "MsMonarchdancer(a)gmail.com"
> <MsMonarchdancer(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>
>>How do we flip a left-hand Kwikset lock so it works on a right-hand door?
>>
>>I bought a set of Kwikset Security locks which advertise "Fits All Doors" &
>>"Easy Installation". The Kwikset lock package contained two left-hand keyed
>>knobs and two deadbolts.
>>
>>The problem is there is NOTHING on the package that indicates the two keyed
>>knobs are set up for left-handed doors (those with the hinge on the left).
>>My outside doors are right-hand doors (they have the hinge on the right).
>
>
> You just want the key to be "right side" up? How do you know which
> side is the right side? :)
>
> Why can't you just rotate the whole lock 180 degrees?
>
> Every second house in my n'hood has a door that swings one way, and
> every first and third house, the door swings the other way. (or opens
> from the other side, depending on how you phrase it.) And I'm sure
> they all have Kwikset locks like I do. Do you want me to check which
> side of the keyhole goes up in my neighbors' locks?
>
> For me, I think the key's teeth point up. Is that good or bad?

good. If the key's teeth point down, someday half a century down the
road when one of the tumbler springs breaks or loses tension, you could
be locked out of your house when one of the tumblers jams. If the teeth
point up, then gravity will help the springs and as long as the lock
isn't gummed up, it will open with the correct key even if there are
*no* springs inside.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
From: MsMonarchdancer on
On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 10:31:06 -0500, mm wrote:
> You just want the key to be "right side" up? How do you know which
> side is the right side? :)
> Why can't you just rotate the whole lock 180 degrees?

Hi mm,

Thank you for the advice.

Yes, I want the key to be "right side up". :)
That means the flat part of the key blade is downward and the notched part
of the key is upward.

If I rotate the whole lock/knob assembly 180 degrees laterally, the keyhole
is on the INSIDE of the house instead of the OUTSIDE. If I rotate 180
degrees horzontally, I'd need a two-foot-long entry door latch coming out
from the hinge side instead of a five-inch entry door latch protruducing
from the door-lock side of the door. :)

I hope that explains things a bit.
Good luck to you,