From: Peter Crosland on
lordy wrote:
> On 2007-04-18, Lordy.UK <spam(a)recycle.bin> wrote:
>>> The listing is quite clear. It says
>>>
>>> "Free
>>> Collection in Person"
>>>
>>> You have no grounds for complaint.
>
> The Listing may be quite clear, but so also is the term 'Free
> Postage', although I've learned my lesson where eBay is concerned.
>
>>
>> Agreed - quite possibly for the first time :)
>>
>> The flaw in the eBay system though is that, in the search results it
>> would have listed the default postage cost - which is obviously
>> "free", hence making it seem initially appealling if the buyer
>> didn't read the auction properly.
>>
>
> I admit I didn't take time to read it properly, and that's why I paid
> up. It was all there in black and white, as I mentioned in my first
> post.
>
> So just that we're all on
> the same page. You guys think its OK for listings to say
> 'Postage:Free' in the search results, as long as the listing itself
> says "Free Collection in Person, all other items cost". In which case,
> anyone that doesn't mind people collecting could do the same thing.

You cannot buy an item without looking at the actual listing!

Peter Crosland



From: lordy on
On 2007-04-18, Lordy.UK <spam(a)recycle.bin> wrote:
>> You guys think its OK for listings to say 'Postage:Free' in
>> the search results, as long as the listing itself says
>> "Free Collection in Person, all other items cost".
>
> Relax - I wasn't getting at you or anything :)

No problem. Just wanted to see this from the eyes of people not
personally involved. Thats why I posted here :)

> As I said, it's just an unfortunate "feature" in the eBay system and -
> importantly - it's not the seller's fault.

I've no proof but I suspect the seller is taking advantage of the fact
based on their items for sale. Quite a lot of people don't mind
collection if asked, they could all do the same thing too.

However I'll take the hint and lick my wounds :)

Lordy
From: colm on
lordy [spam(a)lordy.org.ukinvalid] said:
> On 2007-04-18, Lordy.UK <spam(a)recycle.bin> wrote:
> >> You guys think its OK for listings to say 'Postage:Free' in
> >> the search results, as long as the listing itself says
> >> "Free Collection in Person, all other items cost".
> >
> > Relax - I wasn't getting at you or anything :)
>
> No problem. Just wanted to see this from the eyes of people not
> personally involved. Thats why I posted here :)
>
> > As I said, it's just an unfortunate "feature" in the eBay system and -
> > importantly - it's not the seller's fault.
>
> I've no proof but I suspect the seller is taking advantage of the fact
> based on their items for sale. Quite a lot of people don't mind
> collection if asked, they could all do the same thing too.
>
> However I'll take the hint and lick my wounds :)
>

Indeed you have no proof that the seller was deliberately trying to get
one over on you and but, with respect, it sounds to me like you just
want to think that so you can transfer the burden of your mistake on the
them and are blaming them when the reality is you should have simply
read the listing properly.
From: lordy on
On 2007-04-18, colm <C(a)C.C.C.C> wrote:
> lordy [spam(a)lordy.org.ukinvalid] said:
>> On 2007-04-18, Lordy.UK <spam(a)recycle.bin> wrote:
>> >> You guys think its OK for listings to say 'Postage:Free' in
>> >> the search results, as long as the listing itself says
>> >> "Free Collection in Person, all other items cost".
>> >
>> > Relax - I wasn't getting at you or anything :)
>>
>> No problem. Just wanted to see this from the eyes of people not
>> personally involved. Thats why I posted here :)
>>
>> > As I said, it's just an unfortunate "feature" in the eBay system and -
>> > importantly - it's not the seller's fault.
>>
>> I've no proof but I suspect the seller is taking advantage of the fact
>> based on their items for sale. Quite a lot of people don't mind
>> collection if asked, they could all do the same thing too.
>>
>> However I'll take the hint and lick my wounds :)
>>
>
> Indeed you have no proof that the seller was deliberately trying to get
> one over on you

No proof. They just know thats how all of their listings appear. I
personally have learned I could make all my listings appear this way,
because I don't mind people collecting. But I wouldn't feel comfortable
doing so.

> and but, with respect, it sounds to me like you just
> want to think that so you can transfer the burden of your mistake on the
> them and are blaming them when the reality is you should have simply
> read the listing properly.

Rub it in why don't you :) but yes Caveat Emptor and basic
comprehension - (once I get past the 'Free Postage' bit)

Lordy
From: funfly3 on
Lordy.UK wrote:
>>> Indeed you have no proof that the seller was deliberately trying
>>> to get one over on you
>> No proof. They just know thats how all of their listings appear.
>
> As you say, it's all about perspective; you're looking at it as if
> that's a bad thing but other people (including the seller) might think
> it's a plus point - that people can come and collect if they want to and
> are near enough, to save them having to pay postage.
>
>
>
sometime it looks like the auction is more genuine if they allow
collection, as if it was a complete scam then collection would not be an
option but I have seen scams where collection is possible after a
western union transfer some hope?