From: Medusa on
On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 10:59:07 -0000, "Jonathan"
<digitaltoast(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>Lidl has always been great for hardware bargains - my ridiculously cheap
>sander, drill etc are all going strong.
>I never dared to venture into the food section, but while buying a shed
>alarm, I thought "why not", and bought some cheese, fig rolls etc.
>Then I went meat-side, and there were some pork and apple sausages, I think
>the brand was Egdene or Edgefield or Egd-something.
>The sell-by was 16th Feb, and one pack looked ok, but the others on the
>shelf had a thick white mould on them. I told someone who seemed shocked and
>took the rest off, but the lettuces were also quite warm, and even though
>the "mature" cheese packaging LOOKED good (Realvalle brand), when I got it
>home, it was the wettest, sweatiest cheese ever. Like someone had taken
>economy mild cheese, and injected with "mature cheese flavouring". Had a
>strong "fake" taste to it.
>The fig rolls were stale-ish...about the only thing OK was the muesli.
>
>I was always under the impression that Lidl / Aldi (not done food at Aldi,
>only circular saws and tool belts!) took the best of Euro economy food and
>did it in bulk. From my experience, it sounds more like "99p Store" rejects!
>
>Am I alone in my bad experience, or is all Lidl food food this ropey?
>

Best pastrami I've ever tasted.

Delicious pineapple yogurts (50% bigger than other brands) 27p?

Great cheese twists (savoury snack in a pink box) - beats M&S anytime
at less than half the price.

Surprisingly good pineapple juice in cartons.

Top quality cleaning products at a fraction of the price of elsewhere.

......so far the ONE thing that's consistently bad is their supply of
bananas - always lookk black and rotten - and ARE black and rotten.

You can't win 'em all!
From: {{{{{Welcome}}}}} on
Medusa wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 10:59:07 -0000, "Jonathan"
> <digitaltoast(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Lidl has always been great for hardware bargains - my ridiculously
>> cheap sander, drill etc are all going strong.
>> I never dared to venture into the food section, but while buying a
>> shed alarm, I thought "why not", and bought some cheese, fig rolls
>> etc.
>> Then I went meat-side, and there were some pork and apple sausages,
>> I think the brand was Egdene or Edgefield or Egd-something.
>> The sell-by was 16th Feb, and one pack looked ok, but the others on
>> the shelf had a thick white mould on them. I told someone who seemed
>> shocked and took the rest off, but the lettuces were also quite
>> warm, and even though the "mature" cheese packaging LOOKED good
>> (Realvalle brand), when I got it home, it was the wettest, sweatiest
>> cheese ever. Like someone had taken economy mild cheese, and
>> injected with "mature cheese flavouring". Had a strong "fake" taste
>> to it.
>> The fig rolls were stale-ish...about the only thing OK was the
>> muesli.
>>
>> I was always under the impression that Lidl / Aldi (not done food at
>> Aldi, only circular saws and tool belts!) took the best of Euro
>> economy food and did it in bulk. From my experience, it sounds more
>> like "99p Store" rejects!
>>
>> Am I alone in my bad experience, or is all Lidl food food this ropey?
>>
>
> Best pastrami I've ever tasted.
>
> Delicious pineapple yogurts (50% bigger than other brands) 27p?
>
> Great cheese twists (savoury snack in a pink box) - beats M&S anytime
> at less than half the price.
>
> Surprisingly good pineapple juice in cartons.
>
> Top quality cleaning products at a fraction of the price of elsewhere.
>
> .....so far the ONE thing that's consistently bad is their supply of
> bananas - always lookk black and rotten - and ARE black and rotten.
>
> You can't win 'em all!


The vast majority of the food stuff we buy from Lidl are excellent
quality and taste, our local Lidl the fruit and veg are excellent too
(though we do usually buy from local market), the bananas from our Lidl
are fine, we find Lidl have the best quality fresh fruit and veg from a
supermarket.


--
60 day free DVD rental: www.southeastbirmingham.co.uk/dvd
Mobile Offers: www.southeastbirmingham.co.uk/mob
Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk

From: Emma on
{{{{{Welcome}}}}} <bhx___spam(a)trapped___hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
>The vast majority of the food stuff we buy from Lidl are excellent
>quality and taste, our local Lidl the fruit and veg are excellent too
>(though we do usually buy from local market), the bananas from our Lidl
>are fine, we find Lidl have the best quality fresh fruit and veg from a
>supermarket.

Another vote for Lidl/Aldi here. My local Lidl has over the past couple
of weeks had a half price sale on fruit & veg, Organic bananas for 59p a
bunch and very green so last ages!

Got a free loaf of bread in there last week as anything within a days
sell by is given away to make sure they don't have to throw it out.

Other items within a weeks sell by usually get marked down by 30% (look
for the orange stickers) but are perfectly good to use or freeze.

Sounds like the original poster just found a particularly badly run
store, I'd have demanded to see the Manager and reported them to Trading
Standards.

--
Emma - The Chocolate Monster
http://chocmonster.rules.it
From: Interesting Ian on

"Medusa" <none(a)none.com> wrote in message
news:rcdst2lb6oipg755eofaabaq38dtlu6rqj(a)4ax.com...
> On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 10:59:07 -0000, "Jonathan"
> <digitaltoast(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Lidl has always been great for hardware bargains - my ridiculously cheap
>>sander, drill etc are all going strong.
>>I never dared to venture into the food section, but while buying a shed
>>alarm, I thought "why not", and bought some cheese, fig rolls etc.
>>Then I went meat-side, and there were some pork and apple sausages, I
>>think
>>the brand was Egdene or Edgefield or Egd-something.
>>The sell-by was 16th Feb, and one pack looked ok, but the others on the
>>shelf had a thick white mould on them. I told someone who seemed shocked
>>and
>>took the rest off, but the lettuces were also quite warm, and even though
>>the "mature" cheese packaging LOOKED good (Realvalle brand), when I got it
>>home, it was the wettest, sweatiest cheese ever. Like someone had taken
>>economy mild cheese, and injected with "mature cheese flavouring". Had a
>>strong "fake" taste to it.
>>The fig rolls were stale-ish...about the only thing OK was the muesli.
>>
>>I was always under the impression that Lidl / Aldi (not done food at Aldi,
>>only circular saws and tool belts!) took the best of Euro economy food and
>>did it in bulk. From my experience, it sounds more like "99p Store"
>>rejects!
>>
>>Am I alone in my bad experience, or is all Lidl food food this ropey?
>>

Food seems ok, just a limited range. Have to make do with Lidl as it's the
only supermarket in Stockton-on-Tees (at least the town centre).


From: Mikey on
I have used the store in Brighton quite a fews times now, and find that the
fruit and veg always seem to be manky.

I have not been up there a week yet, and not seen something rotten.

Seems to be much too warm for the foods on display.

Mike




"Interesting Ian" <spam.me2DELETETHIS(a)ntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:IKCDh.21308$Uy5.20308(a)newsfe2-win.ntli.net...
>
> "Medusa" <none(a)none.com> wrote in message
> news:rcdst2lb6oipg755eofaabaq38dtlu6rqj(a)4ax.com...
>> On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 10:59:07 -0000, "Jonathan"
>> <digitaltoast(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Lidl has always been great for hardware bargains - my ridiculously cheap
>>>sander, drill etc are all going strong.
>>>I never dared to venture into the food section, but while buying a shed
>>>alarm, I thought "why not", and bought some cheese, fig rolls etc.
>>>Then I went meat-side, and there were some pork and apple sausages, I
>>>think
>>>the brand was Egdene or Edgefield or Egd-something.
>>>The sell-by was 16th Feb, and one pack looked ok, but the others on the
>>>shelf had a thick white mould on them. I told someone who seemed shocked
>>>and
>>>took the rest off, but the lettuces were also quite warm, and even though
>>>the "mature" cheese packaging LOOKED good (Realvalle brand), when I got
>>>it
>>>home, it was the wettest, sweatiest cheese ever. Like someone had taken
>>>economy mild cheese, and injected with "mature cheese flavouring". Had a
>>>strong "fake" taste to it.
>>>The fig rolls were stale-ish...about the only thing OK was the muesli.
>>>
>>>I was always under the impression that Lidl / Aldi (not done food at
>>>Aldi,
>>>only circular saws and tool belts!) took the best of Euro economy food
>>>and
>>>did it in bulk. From my experience, it sounds more like "99p Store"
>>>rejects!
>>>
>>>Am I alone in my bad experience, or is all Lidl food food this ropey?
>>>
>
> Food seems ok, just a limited range. Have to make do with Lidl as it's
> the only supermarket in Stockton-on-Tees (at least the town centre).
>