From: RickMerrill on
sarge137 wrote:
> On Sep 2, 3:51 pm, RickMerrill <Rick0.merr...(a)gmail.nospam.com> wrote:
>> BigDog811 wrote:
>>> On Aug 29, 12:13 pm, "OhioGuy" <n...(a)none.net> wrote:
>>>> I've noticed a disturbing trend over the past few months - more and more
>>>> places are putting up signs saying "we do not accept any bills larger than
>>>> $20".
>>>> As someone who has switched over to using a cash budget to help control
>>>> spending, this is making life difficult.
>>>> I saw the new sign yesterday at a gas station I fuel up at occasionally -
>>>> now $20 is the largest bill they accept. With current gas prices, it costs
>>>> about $40 or so to fill up - 80% of that $50 bill they won't accept.
>>>> 50 years ago, there were $500 and $1,000 bills in circulation. With
>>>> inflation, that $50 bill they won't take any more only buys what $8.50
>>>> bought in 1969. In other words, you already have to carry around 6 times as
>>>> much money to buy the same things.
>>>> I don't understand why stores are legally able to get away with refusing
>>>> to accept legal tender dollars. It says right on the bills that they are to
>>>> be accepted as legal tender for all debts, public and private.
>>>> Any thoughts?
>>> And just to put a final point on it go to this Snopes page a read a
>>> concisely and simply written article on the issue:
>>> http://www.snopes.com/business/money/pennies.asp
>>> They've even got links to both the U.S. Codes and U.S. Treasury pages
>>> which address the issue.
>>> Point, set, match.
>> "United States coins and currency (including Federal reserve notes and
>> circulating notes of Federal reserve banks and national banks) are legal
>> tender for all debts, public charges, taxes, and dues. Foreign gold or
>> silver coins are not legal tender for debts."
>>
>> Store are not allowed to accept anything ELSE. If they refuse to sell
>> for your $50 + $1 for a $50.50 debt, Tell them they have to or you will
>> report their attempt at money laundering.
>
> Good luck finding someone to take that report.

It's a matter of scale: multiply the above by 1000 ...

From: The Real Bev on
Rod Speed wrote:

> The Real Bev wrote
>> Rod Speed wrote
>>> The Real Bev wrote
>>>> Rod Speed wrote
>>>>> BigDog811 wrote
>
>>>>>> I've got a feeling we're headed to a time when cash isn't accepted
>>>>>> anywhere.
>
>>>>> Thats never going to happen.
>
>>>> Don't be too sure.
>
>>> Corse it wont. The US hasnt even had enough of a clue to give up on 1c
>>> and 2c pieces.
>
>>>> Cash is pretty much untreaceable and therefore used by criminals.
>
>>> Any criminal with even half a clue uses stolen credit cards.
>
>> I'm pretty sure you can't put a ton of cocaine and a medium-size airplane
>> on your MasterCard, even if it formerly belonged to Bill Gates or the
>> Sultan of Brunei.
>
> You're wrong. You seriously believe that Limbaugh pays cash for his ?

If he were a coke addict I think he'd be a lot skinnier, and yeah, he'd have to
pay cash for it. You think they hand out free samples to the already-hooked as
opposed to the "Well, maybe just this once..." crowd?

>>>> "You aren't a criminal are you, Citizen? So you won't mind if we
>>>> outlaw cash and require that all purchases be made with credit or
>>>> debit cards, right? It's for your own good, Citizen..."
>
>>> The voters wouldnt buy it and the legislators know that.
>
>> You must have missed the "for your own good" part.
>
> Nope, they wont buy that either.

They do every single day. How do you think Obama got elected?

> And as someone else pointed out, even the stupidest politician wont be
> banning cash, because otherwise they wont get any bribes, stupid.

That's the first realistic reason for keeping cash in existence. OTOH, they
could follow time-honored practice and make themselves exempt. Hard to see how
that would work -- bribe money is only useful if you can actually spend it, and
politicians don't really do anything anybody would be willing to pay for if
they didn't have to.

>> Right now we have way too many laws "for our own good" and people don't
>> seem to whine much.
>
> Because they have enough of a clue to have noticed the downsides of aircraft
> hijacking after 9/11.
>
>> Didn't Kennedy keep getting elected?
>
> Wasnt by any 'for your own good' legislation.

"The Government will help you and take care of you." What part of that don't
you understand?

>> Never fear, Citizen of Oz, soon we will be watching out for you too...
>
> How odd that you clowns didnt when you just completely imploded the entire
> world financial system, AGAIN.

Hey, we're tough, we can do it as often as we want to.

>>>>>> You need to develop the discipline to handle your finances with a
>>>>>> credit/ debit card, and in the mean time you'll just have to start
>>>>>> carrying smaller bills.
>
>>>> I don't see how people can confuse a credit card with the "I don't
>>>> have to worry about how much it costs because I'll never have to pay
>>>> the bill" philosophy.
>
>>>> I do like the Brit expression "on the never-never", though.
>
>> What part of Oz do you come from?
>
> Depends on what you mean by come from. Originally, far north queensland.

Ah, home of the flame trees. I have some tiny ones growing from seed I
gathered at the Huntington Library.

> Havent been there for 60 years tho except for one visit 40 years ago.
>
> Currently from south western NSW.

Flat, red, dry and desert-like? The pix shown on google earth look like Utah.
Nice place.

--
Cheers, Bev
---------------------------------------
A recent psychic fair was cancelled due
to unforeseen circumstances.
From: JRWeiss on
Rod Speed wrote:

> The US hasnt even had enough of a clue to give up on
> 1c and 2c pieces.

rodless doesn't have enough of a clue to know the US hasn't had 2c
pieces for 50+ years!
From: Rod Speed on
The Real Bev wrote
> Rod Speed wrote
>> The Real Bev wrote
>>> Rod Speed wrote
>>>> The Real Bev wrote
>>>>> Rod Speed wrote
>>>>>> BigDog811 wrote

>>>>>>> I've got a feeling we're headed to a time when cash isn't accepted anywhere.

>>>>>> Thats never going to happen.

>>>>> Don't be too sure.

>>>> Corse it wont. The US hasnt even had enough of a clue to give up on 1c and 2c pieces.

>>>>> Cash is pretty much untreaceable and therefore used by criminals.

>>>> Any criminal with even half a clue uses stolen credit cards.

>>> I'm pretty sure you can't put a ton of cocaine and a medium-size
>>> airplane on your MasterCard, even if it formerly belonged to Bill
>>> Gates or the Sultan of Brunei.

>> You're wrong. You seriously believe that Limbaugh pays cash for his ?

> If he were a coke addict I think he'd be a lot skinnier,

More fool you.

> and yeah, he'd have to pay cash for it.

Only in your pathetic little fantasyland.

> You think they hand out free samples to the already-hooked as opposed to the "Well, maybe just this once..." crowd?

Never ever said a word about free.

>>>>> "You aren't a criminal are you, Citizen? So you won't mind if we outlaw cash and require that all purchases be
>>>>> made with credit or debit cards, right? It's for your own good, Citizen..."

>>>> The voters wouldnt buy it and the legislators know that.

>>> You must have missed the "for your own good" part.

>> Nope, they wont buy that either.

> They do every single day.

Nope.

> How do you think Obama got elected?

He got elected because the other clowns had just completely imploded
the entire world financial sysem, AGAIN and hordes had lost their jobs
and houses as a result of that and hordes more wondered about how
long they would be keeping their jobs and houses and decided to give
some slick talking lawyer a go.

Nothing whatever to do with any "for your own good" spewed by some damned politician.

>> And as someone else pointed out, even the stupidest politician wont
>> be banning cash, because otherwise they wont get any bribes, stupid.

> That's the first realistic reason for keeping cash in existence.

Nope, the most important one is the no policitian that
matters would be stupid enough try banning cash.

Even the shrub wasnt THAT stupid.

> OTOH, they could follow time-honored practice and make themselves exempt. Hard to see how that would work

Corse it wouldnt, they wouldnt be able to spend it, stupid.

> -- bribe money is only useful if you can actually spend it,

And other politicians arent very useful for that.

> and politicians don't really do anything anybody would be willing to pay for if they didn't have to.

Dunno, Monica likely would have paid for what she got.

Wonder if anyone calls their kids Monica anymore ?

>>> Right now we have way too many laws "for our own good" and people don't seem to whine much.

>> Because they have enough of a clue to have noticed the downsides of aircraft hijacking after 9/11.

>>> Didn't Kennedy keep getting elected?

>> Wasnt by any 'for your own good' legislation.

> "The Government will help you and take care of you."

No one is stupid enough to believe anything that murderer said.

> What part of that don't you understand?

Nothing like your original.

>>> Never fear, Citizen of Oz, soon we will be watching out for you too...

>> How odd that you clowns didnt when you just completely imploded the entire world financial system, AGAIN.

> Hey, we're tough, we can do it as often as we want to.

And get to wear the downsides when you do too.

We didnt even get a recession out of it.

It remains to be seen if the unemployment rate even gets above 5.x% here.

>>>>>>> You need to develop the discipline to handle your finances with a credit/ debit card, and in the mean time
>>>>>>> you'll just have to start carrying smaller bills.

>>>>> I don't see how people can confuse a credit card with the "I don't have to worry about how much it costs because
>>>>> I'll never have to pay the bill" philosophy.

>>>>> I do like the Brit expression "on the never-never", though.

>>> What part of Oz do you come from?

>> Depends on what you mean by come from. Originally, far north queensland.

> Ah, home of the flame trees. I have some tiny ones growing from seed I gathered at the Huntington Library.

>> Havent been there for 60 years tho except for one visit 40 years ago.

>> Currently from south western NSW.

> Flat, red, dry

Yep.

> and desert-like?

Nope.

> The pix shown on google earth look like Utah. Nice place.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=griffith+nsw+australia&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=36.915634,67.412109&ie=UTF8&ll=-34.287999,146.043663&spn=0.075311,0.131664&z=13&iwloc=A


From: friesian on
On Sep 2, 6:28 am, "Dave" <now...(a)nohow2.not> wrote:
> > OK, so now I'm curious. How many fake 20s was the bank claiming you were
> > passed? Fake 20s are a lot more common than fake 50s or fake 100s. So if
> > you had a lot of fake 50s, you must have had even more fake 20s. -Dave
> >Is there a study of this somewhere?
> >I've worked in a grocery store for 20 years now. I've seen a lot of
> >fake 50s and 100s, but only one fake $20 bill. So, either the 20s are
> >much better quality and don't get caught at the store level (or
> >reported to employees). THey hang up the fakes in the breakroom
> >sometimes. And they insist that we check all 50s and 100s, but don't
> >insist on checking the 20s.
>
> THAT is exactly why the 20 is the most commonly faked currency in the world.
> Nobody checks it, making it easier to pass.  The reason you've only seen one
> fake $20 bill is that you aren't examining $20 bills to see if they are
> genuine or not.  So the ONE that got caught must have been a really
> outrageously bad fake.  -Dave

If that is the case, then the banks aren't checking them either. If
they were getting them deducted from their deposits, it would be a big
deal. I work for a large chain grocery with hundreds of stores. If
fake 20s are common, then the banks certainly don't care. Otherwise,
we'd be hearing about it big time. We certainly accept plenty of 20s
every day.