From: Bob Eager on
On Wed, 2 May 2007 11:51:03 UTC, usenet-ud(a)malloc.co.uk (Steve Firth)
wrote:

> ian <ian(a)nospam.net> wrote:
>
> > With the ant season upon us again, my wife has been trying to locate
> > Nippon Gel, but nobody seems to stock it any more.
>
> Nippon gel is 5% borax in a sugar solution. It doesn't take long to DIY.
>
> Other of course than the fact that asking for borax in a chemists (or
> any chemical) now gets you treated like a terrorist. I had a heck of a
> job trying to get hold of a bottle of peroxide recently.

Asking for citric acid gets you treated like a drug dealer....
--
The information contained in this post is copyright the
poster, and specifically may not be published in, or used by
http://www.diybanter.com
From: Steve Firth on
Bob Eager <rde42(a)spamcop.net> wrote:

> > Other of course than the fact that asking for borax in a chemists (or
> > any chemical) now gets you treated like a terrorist. I had a heck of a
> > job trying to get hold of a bottle of peroxide recently.
>
> Asking for citric acid gets you treated like a drug dealer....

Oh the joys of living life in knee-jerk response to the tabloid press.
From: SteveH on
ian <ian(a)nospam.net> wrote:

> With the ant season upon us again, my wife has been trying to locate
> Nippon Gel, but nobody seems to stock it any more.
>
> Has it perhaps been withdrawn for PC (politically crass) elf n' safety
> reasons?
>
> Suggestions anyone for an alternative? (preferably a gel rather than a
> powder, as powder tends to blow away).

The nest is likely to be somewhere in your garden.

Locate it, pour some white spirit on it and give it a good roasting with
a blow-torch.

I singed our lawn doing that last year and got some odd looks from the
neighbours, but it got rid of the little buggers.
--
SteveH 'You're not a real petrolhead unless you've owned an Alfa Romeo'
www.italiancar.co.uk - Honda VFR800 - Hongdou GY200 - Alfa 75 TSpark
Alfa 156 TSpark - B6 Passat 2.0TDI SE - COSOC KOTL
BOTAFOT #87 - BOTAFOF #18 - MRO # - UKRMSBC #7 - Apostle #2 - YTC #
From: Organic Icecube on
I like ants, bees and wasps. What harm do they do. Even on the very rare
occasions that ants raid your house they do little harm and usually
disappear again overnight. Just because they are a macro organism which
functions in quantity, they elicit horror and repugnance. Shame I call it.
I put a bit of sugarwater down in my garden and it keeps em all very happy
and in one spot. Save poisons for real health hazards like rats, mice and
Islaamic terrorists.
:-))


From: bomb#20 on
Organic Icecube wrote:
> I like ants, bees and wasps. What harm do they do. Even on the very
> rare occasions that ants raid your house they do little harm and
> usually disappear again overnight. Just because they are a macro
> organism which functions in quantity, they elicit horror and
> repugnance. Shame I call it. I put a bit of sugarwater down in my
> garden and it keeps em all very happy and in one spot. Save poisons
> for real health hazards like rats, mice and Islaamic terrorists.
> :-))

Well said, a sensible post at last.
..


First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Prev: Chiminea
Next: And deals on scopes or binoculars