From: Jon on
samandjanetknox(a)tessco.net declared for all the world to hear...
> I've just sold a car, and the buyer paid instantly by paypal before I even
> got a chance to suggest he pays in cash when he collects it.
>
> Now my concern quite naturally is that he can come and collect the car and
> then claim the goods were never delivered as there's no POD, and claw the
> money back through Paypal.
> I may just be displaying signs of paranoia, as the guy has 100% feedback and
> might be genuinely honest, but for some reason I have an alarm bell ringing
> and telling me that this might be risky
>
> Is there any way I can protect myself from this?

Write a receipt out saying something like "I [buyers name] hereby
confirm that I have taken away the vehicle [vehicle registration mark]
as advertised on ebay.

Date is and both sign it, get a witness.

> Perhaps get him to sign a document when he comes to collect stating that he
> has taken receipt of the car?
> Or am I just being a bit silly?

No, sensible precaution.
--
Regards
Jon
From: PhilÄ on

"Fat Sam" <samandjanetknox(a)tessco.net> wrote in message
news:b1aji.9553$nE2.4784(a)newsfe3-win.ntli.net...
> I've just sold a car, and the buyer paid instantly by paypal before I even
> got a chance to suggest he pays in cash when he collects it.
>
> Now my concern quite naturally is that he can come and collect the car and
> then claim the goods were never delivered as there's no POD, and claw the
> money back through Paypal.
> I may just be displaying signs of paranoia, as the guy has 100% feedback
> and might be genuinely honest, but for some reason I have an alarm bell
> ringing and telling me that this might be risky
>
> Is there any way I can protect myself from this?
> Perhaps get him to sign a document when he comes to collect stating that
> he has taken receipt of the car?
> Or am I just being a bit silly?
>
> I'm open to any advice available.
>
> --


He has probably used his credit card to purchase via ebay..

This means the car is brought on credit, and you could have all sorts of
hastles.

I would refund, and ask him to bring cleared funds, say the paypal in the
ebay listing was a mistake.

If you need to relist, get rid of the paypal.

How much was the car??

From: nick on

"Fat Sam" <samandjanetknox(a)tessco.net> wrote in message

> I've just sold a car, and the buyer paid instantly by paypal before I even
> got a chance to suggest he pays in cash when he collects it.
>
> Now my concern quite naturally is that he can come and collect the car and
> then claim the goods were never delivered as there's no POD, and claw the
> money back through Paypal.
> I may just be displaying signs of paranoia, as the guy has 100% feedback
> and might be genuinely honest, but for some reason I have an alarm bell
> ringing and telling me that this might be risky
>
> Is there any way I can protect myself from this?
> Perhaps get him to sign a document when he comes to collect stating that
> he has taken receipt of the car?
> Or am I just being a bit silly?
>
> I'm open to any advice available.

Refund the paypal payment and insist on cash.

It's the only sensible thing to do.


From: Niel J Humphreys on
"Jon" <spam(a)jonparker.plus.com> wrote in message
news:MPG.20f76b196306d52c98ab14(a)text.usenet.plus.net...
> samandjanetknox(a)tessco.net declared for all the world to hear...
>> I've just sold a car, and the buyer paid instantly by paypal before I
>> even
>> got a chance to suggest he pays in cash when he collects it.
>>
>> Now my concern quite naturally is that he can come and collect the car
>> and
>> then claim the goods were never delivered as there's no POD, and claw the
>> money back through Paypal.
>> I may just be displaying signs of paranoia, as the guy has 100% feedback
>> and
>> might be genuinely honest, but for some reason I have an alarm bell
>> ringing
>> and telling me that this might be risky
>>
>> Is there any way I can protect myself from this?
>
> Write a receipt out saying something like "I [buyers name] hereby
> confirm that I have taken away the vehicle [vehicle registration mark]
> as advertised on ebay.
>
> Date is and both sign it, get a witness.


Paypal won't accept that as a proof of delivery in the event of a claim.
--

Niel H
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Snowdon-Computers
http://www.ebayfaq.co.uk/


From: Joe Lee on
Fat Sam wrote:
> Shiela.S wrote:
>> "Fat Sam" <samandjanetknox(a)tessco.net> wrote in message
>> news:b1aji.9553$nE2.4784(a)newsfe3-win.ntli.net...
>>> I've just sold a car, and the buyer paid instantly by paypal before
>>> I even got a chance to suggest he pays in cash when he collects it.
>>>
>>
>> Refund his payment and ask him to pay cash? That would be my choice
>> - but why did you give a paypal option in the listing?
>>
>> Shiela S
>
> Wasn't thinking. My own silly mistake.
> Personally I'm starting to think the guy's gonna be alright, as I keep
> referring to his feedback and it's exemplary.


You don't say whether the guy's seen or inspected the car. If he hasn't then
you really need to wonder what kind of a buyer you've got. Two suggestions.

1) He's totally gullible & an absolute idiot for paying for a car that he's
not even seen.

2) He's about to scam you having spotted that you would accept payment by
Paypal for your car, he nipped in quickly with his payment & thinks you're
ripe for the picking.

I've no idea which he is but I sure as hell wouldn't let him drive off with
my car on the basis of his feedback rating !

If he's genuine he won't object to you refunding the payment & giving you
the money in cash.

If he does object, then go figure...

--
Joe Lee


First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Prev: Paypal payment reversal
Next: Asian eBayers