From: Palindrome on
Andy Hall wrote:
> On 2007-06-09 14:27:36 +0100, Palindrome <me9(a)privacy.net> said:
>
>> The Medway Handyman wrote:
>>
>>> Palindrome wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>> These do everything a strimmer does, plus one heck of a lot more with
>>>> the blade in place - without constant stopping for the blasted lines
>>>> when they break every two minutes.
>>>>
>>>> I have had a number of strimmers before finally buying a brush
>>>> cutter..now I use it for everything that the petrol mower can't touch.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> What's the difference? Is a brush cutter simply a strimmer that you
>>> can fit a blade to?
>>>
>>>
>>
>> It's the blade that makes the difference. It will cut down things like
>> thistles in an instant - whereas the line on a strimmer will take
>> ages, assuming that it doesn't break first.. Even tree shoots,
>> bracken, brambles, almost anything..ideal for clearing an unloved garden.
>>
>> The length of the thing keeps it away from toes. The blade is friction
>> driven, so it will stop if it hits anything, without stalling the motor.
>
>
> Is the arrangement with the line any better? I have yet to find a
> strimmer with a reliable mechanism and reasonable lifetime.
>
Nope. Put the line head on and it is much the same as any strimmer of
similar price. I only ever use mine with the blade on though. I find
that I have enough control not to hit anything.

--
Sue



From: Dave Liquorice on
On Sat, 9 Jun 2007 14:28:48 +0100, Mungo \"Two Sheds\" Toadfoot wrote:

> I take it the line doodah can be re-wound with line, rather than having
> to replace the whole thing with a new one?

Mine can, bought a bulk pack of line from a clearance bin in B&Q about 4
years ago and it still looks as if none has been used. This despite most
strimming being against drystone wall bases which eats line compared to
just strimming vegitation.

Try a google on that make/model you may find better and more accurate
information about it elsewhere.

--
Cheers new5pam(a)howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail



From: Steve Firth on
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot <eastREMOVEkent(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> I want one.
>
> I'm not terribly rich at the moment.

Commiserations.

> Which one of these two do I want, or does anyone know of a better one for
> <=�70?

Jings, I dunno. I tend to buy Stihl brushcutters because I have a huge
area of hedgerow to strim. Like most things, the tool for the job is
worth paying for. But if you are totally strapped for cash it's
difficult to pick. The Stihl is about �130 for a 26cc cutter but it's
well made, I've also owned a "Partner" brushcutter for some time. IIRC
it's another Electrolux brand like Flymo and Husqvarna but it has
performed extremely well over the time I've had it.

Of those two the S&J looks like a bit of cynical branding. No idea who
"landscape" are but I'd prefer a 36cc motor to a 26cc one, so I'd
probably go for that one.
From: Kaiser on

"Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot" <eastREMOVEkent(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
news:QaKdnYw8bdbhPffbnZ2dnUVZ8smonZ2d(a)pipex.net...
>I want one.
>
> I'm not terribly rich at the moment.
>
> Which one of these two do I want, or does anyone know of a better one for
> <=�70?
>
> <http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/7201228/Trail/C%24cip%3D49998.DIY%2C%2Bgarden%2Band%2Bcar%3EC%24cip%3D50094.Garden%2Bpower%2Btools%3EC%24cip%3D50096.Grass%2Btrimmers.htm>
>
> http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/7200195/Trail/C%24cip%3D49998.DIY%2C%2Bgarden%2Band%2Bcar%3EC%24cip%3D50094.Garden%2Bpower%2Btools%3EC%24cip%3D50096.Grass%2Btrimmers.htm
>
> Kin 'ell, sorry about the enormous URLs but they should work.
>
> Si
>
>
Bought the Spear & Jackson from Argos a few months ago to replace a broken
McCulloch strimmer, so far so good. Comes with 2 year manufacturers
warranty.You can rewind the spool yourself, no need to buy branded spools
and they have a tap and go line feed. They are as good as any cheap petrol
strimmer, ie: McCulloch. If you want something for continuos every day use,
get a Stihl, but make sure it is from the professional range as they also do
a domestic range.


From: The Natural Philosopher on
Andy Hall wrote:
> On 2007-06-09 14:27:36 +0100, Palindrome <me9(a)privacy.net> said:
>
>> The Medway Handyman wrote:
>>> Palindrome wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>> These do everything a strimmer does, plus one heck of a lot more with
>>>> the blade in place - without constant stopping for the blasted lines
>>>> when they break every two minutes.
>>>>
>>>> I have had a number of strimmers before finally buying a brush
>>>> cutter..now I use it for everything that the petrol mower can't touch.
>>>
>>>
>>> What's the difference? Is a brush cutter simply a strimmer that you
>>> can fit a blade to?
>>>
>>>
>>
>> It's the blade that makes the difference. It will cut down things like
>> thistles in an instant - whereas the line on a strimmer will take
>> ages, assuming that it doesn't break first.. Even tree shoots,
>> bracken, brambles, almost anything..ideal for clearing an unloved garden.
>>
>> The length of the thing keeps it away from toes. The blade is friction
>> driven, so it will stop if it hits anything, without stalling the motor.
>
> Is the arrangement with the line any better? I have yet to find a
> strimmer with a reliable mechanism and reasonable lifetime.
>
The bigger ones are better - use heavier duty line. We have IIRC a
Ryobi? something like that. It needs a new bit of line every year or so.

You DO have to be careful with trees and shrubs though.

However if you need one, you need one.