From: Niel J Humphreys on
"Toxic Waste" <Trabant Owners Club(a)nicksplace.co.com> wrote in message
news:iN0Pm.8454$Ym4.5674(a)text.news.virginmedia.com...
>
> "MC" <any(a)any.any> wrote in message
> news:xn0gi233gxhdau002(a)bignews.usenetmonster.com...
>>> > Any thoughts on my position?
>>> >
>>> I'd have agreed to the cancellation and left neutral feedback already
>>> - why make hassle and unpleasantness? So you thought you were onto a
>>> good thing, and it turns out you weren't - get over it.
>>
>> I disagree. We do not Know how much cheaper these items were. If they
>> normally sell for �10 each and the seller listed them at �6 each (�1
>> less than cost for example) I would not consider that obscenely cheap.
>> It may be a loss for the seller but could be considered a bargain to
>> the buyer who may believe that the seller is trying to get rid of the
>> items, for example.
>
> The items were just over half the selling price normally found on Ebay,
> therefore, they were hardly giving them away. However, I'm well aware that
> a large number of the subscribers to this forum are business sellers and
> as such, would support a lynch mob being immediately dispatched to any
> buyer who has the audacity to stumble upon a good deal on Ebay.


With all due respect that's a bit harsh as to be fair there is an obvious
unwillingness to give more clarity about the actual 'cheapness' of these
items by indicating the price you 'bought' them for against the normal
selling price. This does tend to give the impression that you were well
aware that it could be a genuine pricing error and were out to gouge the
seller for making an honest mistake and are now complaining because you have
been called on it.



From: petrolcan on
In article <UNZOm.8415$Ym4.3942(a)text.news.virginmedia.com>, "Toxic
Waste" says...
>
> About 4 weeks ago I purchased 25 items on a BIN from a Platinum seller which
> I considered cheap.
>
> I then received the customary "good news, you are the successful bidder
> email".
>
> This was followed by the "Thank you for your payment" email.
>
> Then, the following day, I receive an email stating there had been a "huge"
> pricing error and would I cancel the purchase.

How long had the items been listed for?

> While I was contemplating my position, another email arrived saying the
> items had been dispatched.
>
> This was followed by an email asking why I had not responded to their
> request to cancel the order. I reminded them, they had sent an email stating
> the items had been dispatched.
>
> I receive another email saying the dispatch notification was yet another
> mistake.
>
> I've offered the compromise, of them sending me 40% other original order,
> which they have refused to do.
>
> Emails have been flying back and forth in an effort to settle this amicably,
> however, they refuse to budge.

Just curious but have they refunded your payment during this time?

> Any thoughts on my position?
>
> Should I start a dispute or just give up, as it's a Platinum seller and Ebay
> will automatically side with them?

Personally, I would start a dispute.
From: Willy Eckerslyke on
petrolcan wrote:

> Personally, I would start a dispute.

And how's that going to get him anything more than a refund?
From: petrolcan on
In article <7n4979F3jsqqmU1(a)mid.individual.net>, Willy Eckerslyke
says...
>
> petrolcan wrote:
>
> > Personally, I would start a dispute.
>
> And how's that going to get him anything more than a refund?

Its highly likely that that is all he will get.

TBH, I'm surprised that he has not been refunded as yet, or, if he has
been, that he failed to mention it in the original post.
From: Willy Eckerslyke on
petrolcan wrote:
> In article <7n4979F3jsqqmU1(a)mid.individual.net>, Willy Eckerslyke
> says...
>> petrolcan wrote:
>>
>>> Personally, I would start a dispute.
>> And how's that going to get him anything more than a refund?
>
> Its highly likely that that is all he will get.

Exactly. So he may as well just accept the seller's offer to cancel the
sale. Why bother starting a dispute?

> TBH, I'm surprised that he has not been refunded as yet, or, if he has
> been, that he failed to mention it in the original post.

Presumably the seller is waiting for him to agree to the cancellation so
that they can get their final value fees back and avoid being reported
as a NPS. So he can either go along with them, or do it the hard way.