From: Joe Lee on

"Niel J Humphreys" <admin(a)snowdoncomputersAaargh.co.uk> wrote in message
news:z8ydnQVP9vUmOfLbnZ2dnUVZ8sCsnZ2d(a)pipex.net...
> "Joe Lee" <invalid(a)noaddress> wrote in message
> news:466f1c1a$0$5863$da0feed9(a)news.zen.co.uk...
>> Niel J Humphreys wrote:
>>> "Joe Lee" <invalid(a)noaddress> wrote in message
>>> news:466e033f$0$27857$db0fefd9(a)news.zen.co.uk...
>>>>> Now by
>>>>> it's very nature it is therefor impossible for them to quote the VAT
>>>>> inclusive selling price seeing as that figure is not known until the
>>>>> auction has ended, by which time they description can not be amended
>>>>> anyway.
>>>>
>>>> Sheer nonsense!
>>>
>>> Really? How do you propose sellers quote a VAT inclusive price in an
>>> auction description when this will not be known until the auction &
>>> bidding has ended? I can't wait to hear this one.
>>
>>
>> When listing you simply state the VAT inclusive price. (As you know - or
>> should know - this is a legal requirement when offerring goods for sale
>> to consumers). Any offers you then receive will be inclusive of VAT. It
>> really couldn't be much simpler.
>>
>> As you're a VAT Registered trader you'll know that you're not required to
>> account for the VAT element of a sale (the Output Tax) until *after* a
>> sale has been made - *not* before it's been made.
>>
>> So where's the need for you (or any other VAT Registered trader) to know
>> the actual amount of VAT (the Output Tax) before a sale is made ?
>
>
> I know what has happened here. Someone has snipped off the other part of
> this thread where we were talking about it being unfair/wrong that sellers
> should pay Ebay fees on VAT collected on behalf of HMC&E and from your
> response you are obviously only concerned with sellers not displaying VAT
> inclusive prices in the auction as your response above completely ignores
> the original point of this sub-thread.


Both Peter & I answered your very specific question. There doesn't need to
be any doubt about the question you asked as it remains in black & white
further up this post.

Apparently you thought it would be a difficult question to respond to, as in
respect to the answer you said ""I can't wait to hear this one.".

The replies you received were both accurate & to the point. Not only that,
but they demonstrate that as you are a VAT Registered trader, your question
was remarkably naive in terms of your understanding of how VAT impacts upon
your business.

So. I did not ignore your question as you claim, but I see that your only
respnose is to wander off into talk of sub-threads & how unfair it is that
sellers should pay fees on VAT collected on behalf of HMRC, neither of which
have anything even remotely to do with the very specific question you asked
!

If you have a point to make about how unfair the VAT sysytem is for traders
such as yourself then go ahead & make that point, but do please try to
accept that you asked a remarkably daft question & that your, frankly
pathetic, attemt to wriggle out of it does you no credit at all.

--
Joe Lee


From: michael adams on

"Joe Lee" <invalid(a)noaddress> wrote in message
news:466f1c1a$0$5863$da0feed9(a)news.zen.co.uk...
> Niel J Humphreys wrote:
> > "Joe Lee" <invalid(a)noaddress> wrote in message
> > news:466e033f$0$27857$db0fefd9(a)news.zen.co.uk...
> >>> Now by
> >>> it's very nature it is therefor impossible for them to quote the VAT
> >>> inclusive selling price seeing as that figure is not known until the
> >>> auction has ended, by which time they description can not be amended
> >>> anyway.
> >>
> >> Sheer nonsense!
> >
> > Really? How do you propose sellers quote a VAT inclusive price in an
> > auction description when this will not be known until the auction &
> > bidding has ended? I can't wait to hear this one.
>
>
> When listing you simply state the VAT inclusive price. (As you know - or
> should know - this is a legal requirement when offerring goods for sale to
> consumers). Any offers you then receive will be inclusive of VAT. It
really
> couldn't be much simpler.
>
> As you're a VAT Registered trader you'll know that you're not required to
> account for the VAT element of a sale (the Output Tax) until *after* a
sale
> has been made - *not* before it's been made.
>
> So where's the need for you (or any other VAT Registered trader) to know
the
> actual amount of VAT (the Output Tax) before a sale is made ?
>
> --
> Joe Lee

Because if a trader states that VAT will be added after the sale, then
Ebay won't charge a fee on the VAT. That's why !

What is there in that sentence that you can't understand ?

Let's try it again.

If a trader states that VAT will be added after the sale then
Ebay won't charge the trader a fee on the VAT.

Whereas if to accomodate people like you, a trader allows for the VAT
element in the price, then they have to pay eBay fees not just on the
actual selling price, but on the VAT element they've factored in.

So why should sellers have to pay an eBay fee on VAT they collect
for the Governmentt ? That's the point.

However as most buyers prefer not be charged VAT afterwards -
and Ebay won't accomadate any alternative arrangemnet in their
fee regime, sellers have little choice but to swallow it.

And be faced with stupid arguments from the likes of trolls
like you into the bargain.


michael adams

....








>
>


From: colm on
michael adams [mjadams25(a)onetel.net.uk] said:

> If a trader states that VAT will be added after the sale then
> Ebay won't charge the trader a fee on the VAT.
>
> Whereas if to accomodate people like you, a trader allows for the VAT
> element in the price, then they have to pay eBay fees not just on the
> actual selling price, but on the VAT element they've factored in.
>
> So why should sellers have to pay an eBay fee on VAT they collect
> for the Governmentt ? That's the point.
>
> However as most buyers prefer not be charged VAT afterwards -
> and Ebay won't accomadate any alternative arrangemnet in their
> fee regime, sellers have little choice but to swallow it.


Indeed, sellers simply have to decide what is more valuable to them - a
few extra quid in the bank or customers who are not left feeling
confused and/or mislead. And the answer will probably be different for
different sellers.
From: Niel J Humphreys on
"colm" <C(a)C.C.C.C> wrote in message
news:MPG.20dbc484f10b50cc98a284(a)nntp.dsl.pipex.com...
> michael adams [mjadams25(a)onetel.net.uk] said:
>
>> If a trader states that VAT will be added after the sale then
>> Ebay won't charge the trader a fee on the VAT.
>>
>> Whereas if to accomodate people like you, a trader allows for the VAT
>> element in the price, then they have to pay eBay fees not just on the
>> actual selling price, but on the VAT element they've factored in.
>>
>> So why should sellers have to pay an eBay fee on VAT they collect
>> for the Governmentt ? That's the point.
>>
>> However as most buyers prefer not be charged VAT afterwards -
>> and Ebay won't accomadate any alternative arrangemnet in their
>> fee regime, sellers have little choice but to swallow it.
>
>
> Indeed, sellers simply have to decide what is more valuable to them - a
> few extra quid in the bank or customers who are not left feeling
> confused and/or mislead. And the answer will probably be different for
> different sellers.

Just show the average level of intelligence/common sense these days when so
many people seem unable to read "17.5% VAT to be added to auction end price"
and then get out a calculator (or even use the one in Windows) to work out
the final price - or deduct the VAT from how much they are wanting to pay
and bid accordingly.

Is the general populace really so stupid these days? I realise that spelling
has gone down the shitter these past few years but elemental mathematics
too?
--

Niel H


From: michael adams on

"Niel J Humphreys" <admin(a)snowdoncomputersAaargh.co.uk> wrote in message
news:V7-dna0BfogWIezbnZ2dnUVZ8vqdnZ2d(a)pipex.net...
> "colm" <C(a)C.C.C.C> wrote in message
> news:MPG.20dbc484f10b50cc98a284(a)nntp.dsl.pipex.com...
> > michael adams [mjadams25(a)onetel.net.uk] said:
> >
> >> If a trader states that VAT will be added after the sale then
> >> Ebay won't charge the trader a fee on the VAT.
> >>
> >> Whereas if to accomodate people like you, a trader allows for the VAT
> >> element in the price, then they have to pay eBay fees not just on the
> >> actual selling price, but on the VAT element they've factored in.
> >>
> >> So why should sellers have to pay an eBay fee on VAT they collect
> >> for the Governmentt ? That's the point.
> >>
> >> However as most buyers prefer not be charged VAT afterwards -
> >> and Ebay won't accomadate any alternative arrangemnet in their
> >> fee regime, sellers have little choice but to swallow it.
> >
> >
> > Indeed, sellers simply have to decide what is more valuable to them - a
> > few extra quid in the bank or customers who are not left feeling
> > confused and/or mislead. And the answer will probably be different for
> > different sellers.
>
> Just show the average level of intelligence/common sense these days when
so
> many people seem unable to read "17.5% VAT to be added to auction end
price"
> and then get out a calculator (or even use the one in Windows) to work out
> the final price - or deduct the VAT from how much they are wanting to pay
> and bid accordingly.


That would only work if every seller did the same. People are naturally
lazy and so will go for the offer without the extra hassle. Presumably
one seller at some point must have decided to swallow the VAT, and as
soon as one did so the rest had no choice but to follow suit in order to
remain competitive.

It's a combination of Gresham's Law - bad money drives out good -
and H.L.Menkcen - nobody ever went broke underestimating the
intelligence of the public - I'm afraid.

michael adams

....


>
> Is the general populace really so stupid these days? I realise that
spelling
> has gone down the shitter these past few years but elemental mathematics
> too?
> --
>
> Niel H
>
>


First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Prev: payperdrop_uk
Next: cancel an auction