From: Morris Dovey on
nicksanspam(a)ece.villanova.edu (in emjnc3$hh5(a)acadia.ece.villanova.edu)
said:

| Morris Dovey <mrdovey(a)iedu.com> wrote:
|
|| What I'm after is something that'll run Nick's code without
|| needing to screw around converting versions. If I have to mess
|| with it, I might as well just re-write it as C so I can have some
|| graphic o/p - which means that I probably won't. What he's been
|| posting somehow didn't look like the GWBASIC I remember from long
|| ago (BICBW).
|
| It is, and some of those programs have graphics. I run them on a
| Dell 1100 laptop from a DOS prompt under Windows XP.

Nick...

Thanks! Sometimes it's great to be mistaken. :-)

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USA
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/solar.html


From: Solar Flare on
I thinks it was called "ABASIC" back then. It always came with DOS.

"Morris Dovey" <mrdovey(a)iedu.com> wrote in message
news:458cbae7$0$10305$815e3792(a)news.qwest.net...
> Anthony Matonak (in 458cb25f$0$18115$4c368faf(a)roadrunner.com) said:
>
> | Morris Dovey wrote:
> || Hey, Nick! What version of BASIC are you using? I'd like to try
> out
> || some of the programs you've posted - is there a freeware
> || interpreter I can download that'll do the job? Do you have a URL?
> |
> | A quick google search got me these webpages.
> |
> | http://www.thefreecountry.com/compilers/basic.shtml
> | http://www.nicholson.com/rhn/basic/
> | http://www.freebyte.com/programming/
> | http://www.idiom.com/free-compilers/
> |
> | Also of note is that Basic was included in the Rom's of
> | the early PC computers and also included in various
> | versions of Dos and CP/M.
>
> Yeah, yeah, yeah - you guys are a big help... :-|
>
> I've got 3K and 8K versions of BASIC for the I8080 on paper tape,
> Zapple basic on an 8" SSSD FD for the Z80, and (somewhere) MSDOS
> 1.2,
> 2.2, and 3.2 with whatever M$ put in the package (GWBASIC?)
>
> What I'm after is something that'll run Nick's code without needing
> to
> screw around converting versions. If I have to mess with it, I might
> as well just re-write it as C so I can have some graphic o/p - which
> means that I probably won't. What he's been posting somehow didn't
> look like the GWBASIC I remember from long ago (BICBW).
>
> I just finished downloading GWBASIC from the KindlyRat and will give
> it a try when I have time to play.
>
> Thanks for the links!
>
> --
> Morris Dovey
> DeSoto Solar
> DeSoto, Iowa USA
> http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/solar.html
>
>


From: nicksanspam on
Solar Flare <solaerfart(a)hootmail.invalidated> wrote:

>I thinks it was called "ABASIC" back then...

BASICA.

Nick

From: Anthony Matonak on
nicksanspam(a)ece.villanova.edu wrote:
> Anthony Matonak <anthonym40(a)nothing.like.socal.rr.com> wrote:
>
> http://www.thefreecountry.com/compilers/basic.shtml
> http://www.nicholson.com/rhn/basic/
> http://www.freebyte.com/programming/
> http://www.idiom.com/free-compilers/
>
> Nice :-) Can any of these run on a $100 low-power microcontroller?

I don't know the prices but many microcontrollers run a version
of Basic. It's likely you could find one that costs less than $100.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microcontroller
: BASIC Stamp by Parallax, is the 'big name' in BASIC microcontrollers.
: SX-Key, SX/B Compiler (BASIC-style language)
: PICAXE, PICmicro's programmed with a BASIC interpreter.
: CUBLOC and CuTOUCH, can be programmed in BASIC
: ARMexpress, ARM CPU with a builtin BASIC compiler
: The ZX series MCUs, language for the ZX series is ZBasic

That said, entry models of PDAs are well under the $100 price
these days. Older, used, versions are likely easy to find on
Ebay for low prices as well.

A quick pricewatch search found me this.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16858101004
palm Zire 21 Multilingual PDA TI Tech 126MHz 160 x 160 IrDA $55.99

Anthony
From: Solar Flare on
ahhhh. yup, that was it...LOL

<nicksanspam(a)ece.villanova.edu> wrote in message
news:emk85v$hkn(a)acadia.ece.villanova.edu...
> Solar Flare <solaerfart(a)hootmail.invalidated> wrote:
>
>>I thinks it was called "ABASIC" back then...
>
> BASICA.
>
> Nick
>