From: Lou on

"Gary Heston" <gheston(a)hiwaay.net> wrote in message
news:2eSdnbw-e7KDZ3HXnZ2dnUVZ_jGdnZ2d(a)posted.hiwaay2...
> In article <georgespamk-E25934.16465331102009(a)news.isp.giganews.com>,
> rocket scientist <georgespamk(a)toast.net> wrote:
> >it's not fair. ;)
>
> They're only borrowing it for a few months; you'll get it back in
> the spring.
>
It's the other way around - at the end of October, we go back to standard
time. The hour gets "borrowed" in the spring, when we go from standard time
to daylight savings time.


From: h on

"rocket scientist" <georgespamk(a)toast.net> wrote in message
news:georgespamk-E25934.16465331102009(a)news.isp.giganews.com...
> it's not fair. ;)

Umm, how, exactly, are they "stealing an hour"? Time just happens, it's all
about how it's measured. "Time" CANNOT be stolen.


From: RickMerrill on
h wrote:
> "rocket scientist" <georgespamk(a)toast.net> wrote in message
> news:georgespamk-E25934.16465331102009(a)news.isp.giganews.com...
>> it's not fair. ;)
>
> Umm, how, exactly, are they "stealing an hour"? Time just happens, it's all
> about how it's measured. "Time" CANNOT be stolen.
>
>


Ho ho - that is relative! There was a time that the King decreed a time
change that "cheated" the workers of about 2 weeks of pay and they were
pissed! Maybe someone remembers the story.
From: � Jeem � on
On Sat, 31 Oct 2009 22:35:31 -0700, "Annie Woughman"
<anniewoughman(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

>
>"Gary Heston" <gheston(a)hiwaay.net> wrote in message
>news:2eSdnbw-e7KDZ3HXnZ2dnUVZ_jGdnZ2d(a)posted.hiwaay2...
>> In article <georgespamk-E25934.16465331102009(a)news.isp.giganews.com>,
>> rocket scientist <georgespamk(a)toast.net> wrote:
>>>it's not fair. ;)
>>
>> They're only borrowing it for a few months; you'll get it back in
>> the spring.
>>
>>
>> Gary
>>
>You have that backwards. They borrowed it last spring and are giving it
>back now. You have an extra hour to sleep tonight.

And the bars get to stay open an extra hour.
From: Lou on

"RickMerrill" <Rick0.merrill(a)gmail.nospam.com> wrote in message
news:hcl9ri$bfp$1(a)news.eternal-september.org...
> h wrote:
> > "rocket scientist" <georgespamk(a)toast.net> wrote in message
> > news:georgespamk-E25934.16465331102009(a)news.isp.giganews.com...
> >> it's not fair. ;)
> >
> > Umm, how, exactly, are they "stealing an hour"? Time just happens, it's
all
> > about how it's measured. "Time" CANNOT be stolen.
> >
> >
>
>
> Ho ho - that is relative! There was a time that the King decreed a time
> change that "cheated" the workers of about 2 weeks of pay and they were
> pissed! Maybe someone remembers the story.

I doubt that anyone "remembers" the change, since it occurred in 1752. 11
days were dropped when England (and English America) changed from the Julian
calendar (adopted by Julius Caesar in 45 BC) to the Gregorian (developed by
Pope Gregory XIII in 1582 AD). That month, people earned 11 days less pay,
but landlords tried to collect rents for a full month. People were
understandably not happy.