From: johannes on
I have a lovely battery charger. It charges 8 AA batteries and nothing else,
no fiddling with adjustment for different sizes, I only use it for NiMh AA
types. It cuts out when the charge is full. Also, it doesn't need an outboard
transformer, it's all build in. No messing with the transformer getting lost
or mixed up. Just plug in the power plug.

I want to buy another one of these, but the problem is that I cant find an uk
vendor; they only chargers you get have an outboard transformer. The Vanson
charger is available on several US sites, but that's no good for me.
From: Ian on

"johannes" <johs(a)sizefitter.com> wrote in message
news:48F0C529.614EF754(a)sizefitter.com...
>I have a lovely battery charger. It charges 8 AA batteries and nothing
>else,
> no fiddling with adjustment for different sizes, I only use it for NiMh AA
> types. It cuts out when the charge is full. Also, it doesn't need an
> outboard
> transformer, it's all build in. No messing with the transformer getting
> lost
> or mixed up. Just plug in the power plug.
>
> I want to buy another one of these, but the problem is that I cant find a
> uk
> vendor; they only chargers you get have an outboard transformer. The
> Vanson
> charger is available on several US sites, but that's no good for me.

I'm amazed you can't find a UK vendor! There are plenty of chargers on sale
and a lot I have just looked at do 8AA batteries.


From: johannes on


Ian wrote:
>
> "johannes" <johs(a)sizefitter.com> wrote in message
> news:48F0C529.614EF754(a)sizefitter.com...
> >I have a lovely battery charger. It charges 8 AA batteries and nothing
> >else,
> > no fiddling with adjustment for different sizes, I only use it for NiMh AA
> > types. It cuts out when the charge is full. Also, it doesn't need an
> > outboard
> > transformer, it's all build in. No messing with the transformer getting
> > lost
> > or mixed up. Just plug in the power plug.
> >
> > I want to buy another one of these, but the problem is that I cant find a
> > uk
> > vendor; they only chargers you get have an outboard transformer. The
> > Vanson
> > charger is available on several US sites, but that's no good for me.
>
> I'm amazed you can't find a UK vendor! There are plenty of chargers on sale
> and a lot I have just looked at do 8AA batteries.

Yes, but they all have an outboard transformer plug. I don't like that, I
already have a box full of them and don't know which is which. And the wire
is thin and breaks. If there is one without out the dreaded transformer plug,
I much prefer that one.

They probably do it that way because 1) It removes the responsibility
for mains voltage safety in the charger, and 2) they source the transformer
plug from cheap a general supplier who makes millions of them in china.
From: John on
"johannes" <johs(a)sizefit4364666643ter.com> wrote in message
news:48F0DDD1.F5D7AD1D(a)sizefit4364666643ter.com...
> Yes, but they all have an outboard transformer plug. I don't like that, I
> already have a box full of them and don't know which is which. And the
> wire
> is thin and breaks. If there is one without out the dreaded transformer
> plug,
> I much prefer that one.
>
> They probably do it that way because 1) It removes the responsibility
> for mains voltage safety in the charger, and 2) they source the
> transformer
> plug from cheap a general supplier who makes millions of them in china.


It's mainly so they only need a single production line to make one charger
then they can just supply a cheap transformer to suit the country it's sold
in.
Have you thought about using two Uniross chargers that plug directly into
the socket?
http://www.qfonic.com/uniross-battery-charger-xpress-150-charger-aaaaa9v-incl-p-2910.html


From: Adrian C on
johannes wrote:

> I want to buy another one of these, but the problem is that I cant find an uk
> vendor; they only chargers you get have an outboard transformer. The Vanson
> charger is available on several US sites, but that's no good for me.

If you mean the V-878, there are plenty on eBay. Just search on Vanson.

--
Adrian C